Resume Download PDF
Liz Sanocki, PhD
University of Washington - Human Centered Design & Engineering
July 2014 - Present
Full-time lecturer teaching graduate and undergraduate studio and project-based courses in UX research and design.
- Teaching responsibilities include revising and updating course content/syllabi, preparation, lecturing, critique, hands-on activities, assessment, and mentoring students.
- Supervise and mentor graduate teaching assistants in support of teaching.
- Organized and ran Directed Research Group to redesign “Practice It,” a web-based application to help practice solving Java programming problems.
- In-progress: Experimental Research Methods (HCDE 516)
- Introduction to Human-Centered Design (HCDE 518)
- User Research Evaluation Studio (HCID 531)
- Interaction Design and Prototyping (HCDE 536)
- Capstone Projects (HCDE 592 & HCDE 593)
- Usability Research Techniques (HCDE 417)
Faculty Director, MS and UCD Certificate Programs
July 2014 - June 2018
- Responsible for the academic content of and long-range planning for the MS and UCD Certificate programs.
- Developed and maintained curriculum for professional UX program. Planned course schedules, recruited and hired course instructors. Over four years, doubled cohort size and introduced five new courses to the curriculum (and three planned for AY 2018-2019).
- Chair MS and UCD curriculum committee to oversee program health--plan and implement changes to programs.
- Organized and ran the HCDE UX Speaker series, a highly successful 10-week series covering current topics in UX. Recruited local and nationally recognized UX experts to speak.
- Collaborated with industry outreach managers to envision and plan HCDE-sponsored industry and alumni events and panels and to plan instructor networking events.
- Collaborated with Graduate Student Advisor to supervise student application and admission process, new student orientation, and professional workshops.
- Advised and supervised students on professional internships for undergraduate and graduate students, assisting over 200 students with internships.
Amazon Web Services
Senior UX Designer
March 2011 - September 2014
User experience (UX) design for Amazon Web Services (web-based cloud computing applications). Collaborated with executives, product managers, engineers, writers, and other designers to strategize, conceptualize, design, and develop a variety of AWS Management Console Services in Agile development environment. Lead UX design process throughout entire planning and development lifecycle, including: customer research, user scenarios, workflows, information architecture, application wireframing, high fidelity mock-ups, and UX reviews.
- Worked with teams to prioritize and fix product defects
- Created and documented UX design patterns and user interface (UI) widget libraries
- Created interactive (Axure) prototypes for use in executive reviews and usability testing
- Created production graphics
- Interviewed and helped hire designers. Mentored junior-level designers
- Services created: Redshift, DynamoDB, EMR, SQS, ElastiCache, as well as other TBA services
- Enhancements: EC2, S3, RDS, Route 53, VPC, ELB, EBS, SWF, and more
- Patent Award: 9734021, Visualizing restoration operation granularity for a database
Senior UX Designer (contract via Volt)
October 2010 - March 2011
Primary UX designer for high visibility project to design an end-to-end call center employee application for arranging, booking and servicing customer travel. Application was planned for use by 5,000+ employees speaking multiple languages in 30 call centers WW. The project was part of a large, strategic initiative intended to replace 10+ disparate applications and save significant costs through increased efficiency and reduction of errors.
- Responsible for conceptualizing, designing and creating prototype travel agent tool using Axure, designing end-to-end application flow, information architecture and page layout
- Collaborated with subject matter experts and business analysts to define requirements
- Advocated for end users and iterated design to incorporate user feedback
- Built interactive application prototype (using Axure) for weekly design reviews with agents located overseas, and business owners and stakeholders
- Wrote UX specifications for use by development
Principal UX Architect
September 2009 - August 2010
User experience research and design consultant providing services to Australian and international clients delivering customer-centered experiences addressing business needs and technology issues.
- Conducted user experience research, business and online strategy analysis, user experience design, concept development, information architecture, and detailed UI design for multiple, simultaneous projects
- Provided project leadership and oversight for larger scale projects, including complex transactional websites. Responsible for overall project success
- Presented research findings, recommendations for business and customer experience strategy, and design concepts to clients
- Facilitated internal and external, client-facing workshops
- Created written project documentation and client deliverables
- Participated in business development, project planning (scope of work, project plan, work estimates)
- Group manager for up to 8 associate, mid and senior level Experience Architects, career mentoring and developing discipline-specific and professional skills
UX Program Manager
September 2007 - March 2009
Designed and delivered features for Windows Media Center TV for WMCTV Pack 2008 and Windows 7. Drove development of WMC features, consistently meeting project milestones, bug triage bars, quality bars, timing criteria, specification writing and project management deadlines.
- Drove Media Center customization for Windows Business Editions which was projected to double market reach for MC and save the company up to $500 million over three years
- On-time, on-budget delivery of on-screen keyboard that provided local language text input for worldwide locales in over 30 languages
- On-time, on-budget delivery of features to configure live broadcast TV on the PC using a 10 ft. UI for any of worldwide TV standards and signal types
- On-time, on-budget delivery of Windows 7 Upgrade feature allowing customers to upgrade without interrupting live TV functionality
- Collaborated with internal MC and external Windows product teams: Development, Test, User Experience Design and Usability, Localization, Marketing, Product Planning, User Education, Legal teams. Worked with remote teams in California, Ireland, China and Japan
August 2004 - September 2007
Owned user research program for ongoing releases of MSN Games website portal and Messenger platform for hundreds of online, downloadable, subscription and mobile games. Site also included: social features, Badges incentive program, ecommerce for downloads, interactive and static advertising.
- Reduced customers’ “time-to-games” by 30 seconds by showing that implementing fewer more highly monetized ads would improve user satisfaction and increase revenue projections
- Company-wide evangelization and education for role of UX research and design for Scrum development methodologies
- Authored white paper on best practices for applying UX Research and Design techniques
- Invited speaker for two company-wide presentations
- Completed MSN Games site redesign
- Adopted design and evaluation methods for short development cycles that allowed usability problems to be identified before coding
February 2002 - August 2004
The company’s first UX practitioner, established user experience design practices, processes and deliverables for company. Excellent performance prompted growth of team from 1 to 8 members. User research, UX design and usability evaluation for web-based productivity tools supporting global logistics business processes.
University of Washington, Seattle, WA — PhD
Program in Experimental Psychology, specializing in visual perception
Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI — BS
Programs in Psychology and Packaging Engineering